Sunday, November 18, 2007

Primary Program

Today was our ward primary program. Owen is a sunbeam this year so it was his first time to have a part and he even memorized it! The primary has practiced it for a few weeks now, had a big practice on Friday in the chapel. As we were driving to church this morning we were asking Owen if he was ready. He said he already did it on Friday and didn't need to do it again. So we explained to him that it was just a practice for when it was time to say his part in front of all the people. He seemed OK with it and off we went into the church. Then the time came for all the kids to go up there. Peter is a primary teacher so he went up there with Owen to take him to his seat as well as Quincy and Abbey. I was sitting in the very back (we weren't late but only like 2 minutes early and there was a baby blessing today) with Jacob, my in-laws (in town for Thanksgiving) and Cameron (their cousin) enjoying my peace while Jake was being entertained by his papa. While all the kids were getting to their places I heard this kid start screaming, I looked up and of course it was Owen. He would not go in his seat, so Peter took him to his seat and had him sit on his lap. I thought well at least Peter is up there to calm him down and talk him into saying his part, but then a few minutes later Owen came running down the aisle, crying. He did not want to say his part in front of all those people. I had no idea when his part was in the program but did my best to calm him down and talk him in to going back up there. Nothing worked until grandma told him that if he went back up there and said his part, she would take him to target and buy him a toy. After a couple of minutes of trying to get the toy without going up there, he finally realized he wasn't going to get a new toy unless he actually went back up there and said his part. So he walked back up the aisle reverently and sat back on Peter's lap. While we were waiting for Owen's part to come, the girls said there parts perfect and every time the primary kids would stand up and sing, Jacob would stand up and point "they're singing! they're singing" and then start to sing himself (he loves to sing). Finally at the very end Owen's class went to the microphone and one by one they said their part and Owen said his perfect!! Because we were in the back I felt it was OK for me to put my arms up and silently cheer for him, it was so exciting!! Of course after it was all over, he was expecting his grandma to take him to target right then and buy the toy, but we had to remind him that we don't shop on Sunday. Ireally wanted to take pictures during the program, but I think that is frowned upon.

4 comments:

Tina ♥ said...

Well, I am glad it all worked out okay! It can be a little stressful! And it was crowded, too! I thought Quincy looked so cute in her baptism dress while they sang the baptism song. I like your new background...even though I'm not a Ute fan, but then again, I am not any particular fan!
Tina

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

A little bribing never hurt anyone, right?
Your kid may have been the one crying, but mine was the one picking her nose. It's a good thing she was hidden behind the stairs rail.
I like your back ground. Your going to have to show me how to change them. i'm still learning.
Oh, Shauna is doing playgroup tomorrow morning at 9:15 if you want to go, or you can wait until next week when its my turn and stay over at the house for an easier transition for your little guy.